Originally purchased for $1.5 million in 1957 by a development company headed by Milton Link, the Moorings has grown from the original 300 acres to more than 1,300 acres, 1,938 homes and apartments as of 2004. In 1958, lots first went on sale for the princely sum of $4500 each. The original Property owners association was founded in 1962 with only 30 members. The main thoroughfare for the Moorings was named Crayton Road after Mrs. E.W. Crayton.
The Moorings is known for its quiet streets shaded with beautiful Banyan, Ficus and Palm trees. Residents enjoy a private country club and beach park. Access to Gulf of Mexico via Doctors Pass is enjoyed from many waterfront properties located along Moorings Bay, Bowline Bay and Compass Cove. The Moorings has survived economic slumps, Hurricanes, and time to become one of the most desirable areas in the world to live.
Aerial Image of The Moorings showing waterfront and beach access areas. Click Here for a detailed waterfront map.